Monday, July 7, 2014

Good Intentions...

They say that good intentions pave the road to hell. "They" say a lot of things. I'm not sure I trust "They". For instance, what do They mean? Good intentions generally? Or just the ones that don't produce anything good? Or is it like that other saying, People do right things for the right reason, right things for the wrong reason, wrong things for the right reason, etc.*? I have come to the conclusion that They must mean either good intentions that go nowhere, or good intentions that produce negative results far from the intent. But this is simplifying things, and leaves out all of those good intentions that succeed.

Take, for example, this blog. I have all sorts of good intentions simply bursting out of me, and every expectation of meeting each one! Etsy shop? Sure! Stocked with gorgeous, creative, charming objects to beautify any home, workspace, or Christmas tree? Um, well - sure; but just as soon as I finish making said objects and thoroughly researching every legal contingency of starting a business. Research? Actually, I'm terrible at research... Ok, well - Find a job? Yes! Just as soon as I've cleaned the house, planted the garden, made a new dress... Make a cherry pie for the first time ever? Of course! Easiest thing in the world! I've already sort of mastered strawberry rhubarb, and it probably won't matter if I change just one ingredient... Um, oops... Write the last few chapters of my novel before June 30? Ye- Uh, wait. Where did June go? it was here a minute ago! Ok - fine! 50,000 words in July for Camp NaNoWriMo? I can do that! What?! I'm already supposed to be at 10,000 words and I've only written 500?!? Ok - where's my pen?

Yeah, ok, well, good intentions are one thing. Sticking them through is another. Like New Years Resolutions that you can make any month.

Maybe I'll just make some chocolate chip cookies and get on with a little gardening. Yum!


*The "etc." of course goes for people who do wrong things for the wrong reason. These are, actually, probably few a far between. We consider the likes of Emperor Palpatine, who bribed Anakin and later (earlier?) Luke to come to the Dark Side with promises of doing good; but once there on the Dark Side, he simply reveled in evil. But I haven't met any Emperors in person; even the power-mad 2-year-olds that I've known are generally far too cute to be categorized with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment